Sunday, June 7, 2009

hamster sitting.

The Schroeders have left for an extended vacation in California today. They packed their little--let's be honest--good sized family in their mini van and headed west. In their wake was left their cute little hamster, Dixie, whom we agreed to keep safe. The operative word is safe.

The kids were so excited to have this creature in their grasps. Although every single one of them was scared to death that she would bite through her metal cage and take a chunk out of them. Jacob carefully held her cage while we drove home; at one point he asked if she could bite him if he held the cage close to his body. "Honey, Dixie will only bite what you stick IN the cage." He is relived and they all loosen up.

We get home and almost immediately put her in her rolling ball thang and we watch her for a long time. Ruben wakes and sees a ball and goes for it. Gives it a little shake and drops it when he realizes something is moving inside. He is so curious and brave--he goes for it again and makes a move like he is going to hurl it across the room. I take Dixie and her ball from him and scold him for something he can't possibly understand but he gets it. He really doesn't want mommy to make that horrific noise again.

At this point each child wants to hold Dixie's ball with her inside so when they disobey direct orders to leave her alone, she gets put back in her cage and runs undisturbed on her wheel. Happily I might add.

I begin making dinner and I hear tears. Oh what is it now? Evann has blood on her finger...uh huh. You were messing with Dixie weren't you? Yes! And she bit me REALLY HARD!! I suppose you have learned your lesson then? Yes.

I thought so. But no. Tonight at about 11 pm she snuck out of bed and found her cage. She held it and at some point she dropped it. (It's perfectly fixed now, in case you wondered, Katie.) I walk to my room ready for bed and I hear stressful whimpering. Evann?? What are you doing?

She is bent over with Katie's glove on (the one given for handling said hamster who has a tendency to bite) holding this little rodent. I can see and hear her panic. Evann, what are you doing??

I couldn't get her! Why is she out? What did you do? I was holding her cage and it dropped. Oh Evann get in bed. You are not to touch this animal. Through tears she is sorry and is happy to be rid of the rodent. For tonight anyway...

I do promise to keep this rodent safe for my dear nieces and nephews. It will not die on my watch, manhandled by loving children maybe, but not death. Knock on wood. I will replace sweet hamster with perhaps a kinder, non-biting model if the unthinkable happens. ;) Enjoy your trip Schroeders!

2 comments:

Kara said...

oh dearest evann. miss you all too. i don't like hamsters..my friend has one named rhino..quite frightening.

katie said...

Jason and laughed the whole way through that. Both would be relieved if we came back and she had dropped her nasty biting habit by some miracle-disaster. We are grateful for your services, even if you don't knock her off. By Thursday or Friday she will be ready for a cage cleansing. Good luck and call if you hit a wall.