Saturday, June 27, 2009

sweet dixie.

Dixie has become a fixture in Evann's world. All of them actually. But Evann has really forced herself onto this little creature. Dixie has become Evann's shadow--against her will I assume. We have ditched the glove and have resorted to just picking her up and having her tag along wherever the children go. She has only biten twice more and it was days apart so I think we might be ridding her of that habit. (Yeah!)

I think yesterday she was in her cage for only a handful of hours. Twice I saw that she was taken outside to roam the ... well, I can't speculate why she was taken outside. At any rate, she's been places. Not as many places as Evann would like ...

We had to go on some quick journey and I tell Evann put Dixie away, we have to go. I walk away and then sneak back to see what she does and as suspected she tries to hide Dixie in her purse ... cause Dixie wants to go too. No ma'am. There will be no loose rodents in my truck. She grabs her ball and starts to walk out the door. What are you doing dear? I'm going to put Dixie in her ball so she won't be out. Then she can go with us. Negative smarty pants. Put her in her cage. Today she tried to tuck her in her pants pocket. Silly girl. Get her out of there and put her in the cage. Oh, mom!

I think at times it will be hard for her to let go when the Schroeders come home (IF they come home) but then change my mind as she never refers to it as hers or that she wants it. I am holding on to that as I do not want to spring for one of these ... or maybe I do ... I hate commitments. No. Definitely, no pets ... right now ...

2 comments:

katie said...

Since the Schroeders are in fact coming home, and soon I suggest you get one. For Evann. What does that poor little girl ever get anyway? No dance, no gymnastics. Come on. At any rate, we need to schedule some time with her to have her teach us proper Hamster handling methods. And many thanks in advance for training the little beast. Dixie, that is.

auntie said...

I once had a pet duckling named Georgie. He followed me everywhere and he slept in a laundry basket in my bedroom. One night he was peeping with loneliness so I took him out in order to hold and comfort him. Then I fell asleep and the rest I will withhold due to the nature of the ending. My point? Not sure. The Dixie story just brought back some traumatic childhood memories. But good luck and all.