Tuesday, September 8, 2009

last ride.



On the morning of June 24, 1844, Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum left their families, homes and fellow Saints for the last time. Traveling on horseback, they paused on this bluff. Joseph looked admiringly at the unfinished temple and the city of Nauvoo and declared:

This is the loveliest place and the best people
under the heavens; little do they know
the trials that await them.


Joseph and Hyrum then continued on to Carthage, Illinois, where they faced legal charges and eventual death at the hands of a mob.

Jake, Jordan and Lysle visited Nauvoo recently. This is one of Jake's pictures that I find rather beautiful. I was moved when Jake showed it to me when he got home and again when Jordan spoke of it on Sunday. I thought I would share...

4 comments:

katie said...

Thank you. And let me be the first to complain about that baby thing. Yikes. Very gross. Especially the way it was bouncing around. And yes, I was up at three the other night. Its nice to have a baby that gets up several times a night, which gives me plenty of time to eat, blog, and eat. Cookie dough anyone?

jrwillden said...

I agree about the baby thing. It is gross. I thought so as well and have told myself I will remove it and find something better, or not find something at all.

The kids always want to know how big the baby is so I thought it would be a shortcut for me. But it is disturbing. One day it will be removed...mind you it took me a year to change my background and frankly, I still don't like it and if I thought it would be a simple fix I would change it already but it took so long to do that little bit that it has burned me out for another year I am sure. (whew! lots of words there.)

kara said...

i like how neither of the other comments are actually about what you blogged about..but about your 'baby thing' good picture jake. thanks for your post.

Josh and Hil said...

Jake took that pictures? Good job!

it really is an amazing story about Joseph and Hyrum to hear and be told

WE really miss you all and hope to come visit sometime :)